Table of Content
Globally, billions of people come together on April 22 to encourage environmental sustainability. This observance is recognized as Earth Day.  Today somewhere around 193 nations participate and pledge to conserve the ecosystem. The major goal is to educate people about the emerging worries about overcrowding, ecological imbalance, and diminishing environmental protection.
About Our Earth
Don’t you feel like the evolution of Earth is like a Sci-Fi movie? Well, yes, it is.
In the solar system, Earth is one of the 8th planets which revolve around the Sun. It positions 3rd and largest in the Universe from Sun. It appears luminous and blue from the space. In an average year, the Earth travels about 93 million miles (150 million kilometres) around the Sun. Its atmosphere mainly contains nitrogen and oxygen. It is the only celestial body having water in liquid form, spanning over 70% of its territory. Around 4.5 billion years ago, the third planet from the Sun was created when the solar system stabilized into its current configuration. 
What is the Chronicle of World Earth Day
Did you ever wonder how Earth Day came into existence?
1. Human Ecology Symposium
The foundation of Earth Day was laid in 1968. The Human Ecology Symposium was organized by the US Public Health Service in 1968. The students were encouraged to attend and listen to scientists discuss the impact of worsening environmental conditions on human wellbeing.
2. Protest for Forming An Environmental Agency
Shortly afterwards, Gaylord Nelson, a US senator, and environmental campaigner, and John McConnell, a peace and environmental activist, requested the formation of an environmental agency. Students from thousands of institutions, colleges, and regions actively participated in a large demonstration. On April 22, 1970, Earth Day was held for the first time. 
4. Global Recognition
In 1990, Earth Day has become a global celebration, with over 140 nations getting involved.
5. Presidential Medal of Freedom for Nelson
Senator Nelson, the driving force behind the Earth Day initiative, was given the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1995.
6. March for Science
In 2017, the first non-partisan “March for Science” was held.
7. 50th Anniversary
Earth Day cherished its 50 years in 2020, however, owing to the Global Pandemic situation event was held via digital platforms.
Theme Of World Earth Day 2022
“Invest in Our Planet” is the theme for this year. The crucial thing here is to operate boldly, develop broadly, and execute appropriately.
Each nation, corporation, and person on the planet has a role. There will never be a single individual who can accomplish everything. But the moment has come, we have to be a team and work together.
Climate Change - Cause And Solution
Earth’s natural circumstances are changing due to climate change. This is due to various developmental and environmental variables. Climate change has been a worldwide issue in recent times. Furthermore, these weather conditions have a variety of effects on life on the earth. Environmental and biological changes are occurring as a result of climate change. A range of flora and fauna have become endangered or extinct as a result.
Human actions (most notably the usage of fossil resources) have substantially enhanced the atmospheric concentrations in the Earth’s atmosphere, therefore contributing to global warming. Without human involvement, natural forces would drive our world into a decent calm era. 
The forestry and seas play a crucial part in climate regulation; improving the natural potential of forests and oceans to absorb carbon dioxide can also assist to slow down global climate change.
The primary means of preventing global warming are to emphasize governments and businesses to:
- Switch to more environmentally friendly transportation.
- Strengthen agricultural practices and promote veganism.
- Plastic should be reduced.
- Shift focuses on Afforestation.
- Reinstate nature’s ability to absorb greater emissions.
Climate Emergency And Its Consequences
Civil movements have gained traction over the last decade calling for changes in human behaviour. Many activists have formed in the last decade, pushing for changes in human behaviour toward the environment. The world is experiencing significant deterioration and devastation of its surroundings and habitats, which might have long-term consequences for humanity and all life on the planet. People all over the planet are willing to modify their lifestyles and adopt measures to address governmental change in the direction of this global disaster. 
Consequences Of Climate Emergency
While the world population increased tremendously, it is the expansion of industrialization that emerged at the end of the 20th century to manufacture commodities that have soared CO2 concentrations in the air.  Increased CO2 levels in our environment cause a greenhouse gas, absorbing additional radiation and steadily rising temperatures at sea and land levels. Some of the major consequences of the climate emergency –
- Coastal Flooding and Extreme Weather Events
- Ice-sheet shrinkage
- Erosion of the oceans
- Diminishing ice of Arctic Sea
Sustainability Is the Only Key
Why sustainability, did you ever give it a thought? “Sustainability” is far beyond a fad. Well, the concept itself is by no means a new one, but the word has certainly become more popular. Sustainability entails satisfying our demands without endangering future generations’ options to fulfil their own needs. Besides natural resources, we also need economic and social resources.
Companies, which are progressive and creative recognize that turning green will benefit us all. All corporate leaders should now be actively involved in crafting the path for sustainable development. Corporate companies are providing rapid transformation to the environment through the help of the public and government. It is time to start planning for a more stable world. 
Space Junk And Human Satellites
The Department of Defence’s global Space Surveillance Network (SSN) sensors track over 27,000 bits of orbital debris. Debris in near-Earth space is too small to be tracked but large enough to pose a threat to human space flight and robotic missions. Because both junk and the space shuttle are moving at such fast velocity, even a small chunk of space junk colliding with a satellite might cause major problems.
NASA has long-established guidelines for dealing with potential collisions with space debris and takes the threat very seriously.
Orbital Debris Incidents in 2021
The reality that space trash can hover in orbit for years makes it a significant concern. For instance, a piece of an old missile was launched, passed near the International Space Station (ISS), forcing the spaceship to change direction.
- In 2021, space trash from a decommissioned Chinese meteorological spacecraft nearly crashed with the Space Shuttle.
- According to the US, a Russian satellite was destructed, resulting in more than 1,500 huge chunks of space junk and numerous smaller fragments that could cross paths with the ISS. 
An Approach Towards Debris Remediation
According to NASA, space debris above 1,000 km will continue to drift for more than 100 years, while debris orbiting below 600 km will return to Earth in several years. Japanese Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) and European Space Agency (ESA) plan to clear space trash using start-ups, but both agencies are incorporating start-ups into their missions. 
Awareness Contribution Of Cinema
Movies are something that can beautifully express emotions and make anyone numb. They have a greater influence and urge people to live a more environmentally responsible lifestyle.  Sci-Fi Films and documentary films may contribute an important role in the understanding of the need to address world challenges such as climate catastrophe. There are several movies made in Hollywood to address the climate crisis such as Day after Tomorrow, 2012, Earthquake, Volcano, etc.
There are ample documentaries that have gained popularity among the youngsters like – An Inconvenient Truth,  Before the Flood, Chasing Ice, A plastic Ocean, and so on.
Kadvi Haava, Bhopal Express, Irada, Jal, and Kaun Kitne Pani Mein all of these movies emphasize the need of conserving resources and make key optimal use of them. Although, Bollywood is still behind in the race to create a lasting impact with viewers on environmental issues. They have the chance to promote environmental concerns in the mainstream and reach out to a larger audience.
Furthermore, global warming is difficult to address with children however, family-friendly films are a great place, to begin with, such as – Ice Age: The Meltdown, Adventure Planet, Tomorrow, and Happy Feet Two.
Impact Of Covid 19 On Earth
The novel coronavirus has had a severe societal and economic impact. However, it would be incorrect to suggest that the pandemic has simply produced harm.
International claims of decreased overcrowding, brighter skies, cleaner rivers, and the advent of animals into urban areas reflect some evident and instant benefits. Aside from vague assertions, impacts are being observed in a range of protracted measurement results (ranging from enhanced air quality to reduced tectonic activity) as well as societal metrics (such as decreased mobility and declining productive expansion and CO2 emissions). While some of these impacts may be viewed as favourable to the ecosystem, terrible impacts, such as cascade repercussions on inequality, agricultural production, psychological wellbeing, catastrophe preparation, and biodiversity, are also developing.
What's Happening Around The Globe
Though the world is still looming under the threat of a pandemic. Several associations around the globe are organizing some interesting activities.
- University of Ohio – To commemorate the forthcoming Earth Day 2022, the University is hosting Earth Month this year.
- University of Hawaii – Throughout April, the University of Hawaii’s Office of Sustainability will present online events on a variety of issues of the common people’s involvement in environmental conservation.
- Earthday.org – The global organization, is joining the fashion industry with an all-environment-friendly range of clothes. The apparel line embodies the philosophy of conserving the Environment and supporting longevity via ethical resource consumption.
- The National Council of Swedish Young Organizations (LSU) – The National Council has collaborated with EARTHDAY.ORG for an event to teach students the ability to create and implement environmental safety policies.
- The Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) – IDEM is preparing to deliver a digital session to kids in all of the government’s primary schools. The video tour will be complimentary and will seek to mould youngsters to be more environmentally conscious.
- Climate Science – This year’s Climate Science Olympiad is being organized in collaboration with Earthday.org. Students under the age of 25 can attend the event and discuss issues about critical environmental concerns.
- Seattle University – The “Center for Environmental Justice and Sustainability” at the University has committed the month to the activities connected to environmental challenges and seeking answers to them.
Save Some Poetic Verse For This Celebration
The thirsty earth soaks up the rain, And drinks, and gapes for drink again. The plants sip in the earth and are With constant drinking fresh and fair. –Abraham Cowley
While the bright radiant sun in the centre glows, The earth in annual motion round it goes, At the same time on its axis reels, And gives us a change of seasons as it wheels. –The 1793 Old Farmer’s Almanac
The season comes when, from her three-month trance, The Earth awakens: already her deep heart Begins to stir, and send its life abroad. –Thomas Buchanan Read
How You Can Bring A Change On World Earth Day?
Are you one of those people, who are planning to help out on Earth Day, but wondering how to contribute? Don’t worry, there are numbers of activities you can add to your routine.
- Consider planting a tree.
- Give your car a day off
- Volunteer your time to your garden
- Switch to electronic bills.
- Take a break from your gadgets
- Focus more on recycling and reuse
Encourage Kid's Participation
Keeping our earth safe and healthy is not just an elder’s job. We should include children as well because they are the future. If they learn today, they’ll implement it tomorrow. Also, it will be a fun time with them to teach social responsibility and environmental security.
- Construct a bird feeder
- Make decorations out of birdseed
- Set up a scavenger quest.
Remember, to avert a climate crisis, we must all act aggressively today. Otherwise, our economy and environment would suffer more severe damage, including lack of resources, landslides, earthquakes, hurricanes, shortage of funds, wage stagnation, and underemployment.
1. It was first marked on April 22, 1970, in the United States.
2. Except for Earth, all other planets were named after Roman and Greek divinities. Earth is the English translation that means, “the ground”. It is derived from the Ancient English words for the earth. The first person on the Earth is said to be Adam in origin 1-5. Besides this, Adam is also known as a pronoun in the Bible.
3. Initially, McConnell had picked the first day of spring i.e., March 20, 1970, but Nelson picked April 22 as the formal ceremony day. The United Nations designated the celebration as International Mother Earth Day in 2009.
4. Climate change is largely due to human activities, which include:
- Releases of Green House gas
- Absorption of Solar Energy
Natural events are constantly altering the planet’s temperature and can account for climatic variations before the Industrial Era in the 1700s. Recent climatic shifts, on the other hand, cannot be described only by natural phenomena such as –
- Orbital and rotational variations of the Earth
- Solar Activity Variations
- Volcanic Explosions
5. A Climate emergency was declared by the United Kingdom for the first time in 2016. Since then, 34 other countries have declared an emergency due to frequent climate change, including India in 2019.
6. As per a recent report from Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), humans have time till the end of this decade to reduce the catastrophe of climate change. It also shares that the Hindukush belt is melting on the large scale, which has been confirmed by ISRO as well. Moreover, ISRO has observed that in the past 15 years, the Gangotri glacier has lost nearly 0.23 square kilometres of the area due to the retreat of the glacier.
7. We have the capability of making our views represented through individual decisions, societal acts, and personal interaction. We all have an impact on the prevalence of industry and political activity by how and what we do for the welfare of the planet. There are several strategies to promote sustainability at home.
- RRR – Reuse, Reduce and Recycle
- Make Sensible Choices of purchase
- Farm Your Food
8. The major space trash in space is caused by the United States, China, Russia, France, and India.
9. The First stage of the junk remediation project is scheduled for 2022, thanks to a collaboration between JAXA and Astroscale. The European Space Agency (ESA) aims to introduce its operation in 2025 with the help of Swiss firm Clearspace. A Japanese company is collaborating with Kyoto University to develop and launch wooden satellites into space by 2023 to reduce space trash.
10. Entertainment is often associated with movies, art, music performances, and shows. The industry’s contribution to biodiversity loss does not immediately come to our mind. However, the film industry has indirect environmental effects, such as CO2 emissions and materials used in products that contribute to deforestation. Damages caused by crews on set are also considered direct effects.
11. Al Gore’s 2006 documentary, earned two Oscars and the former US Vice President a Nobel Peace Prize for his work to “develop and distribute better understanding on man-made climate change.